Wednesday 4 June 2014

"Carpe Diem" by Rahul Chawla


It's a rainy start to the summer season here, and I've been spending a lot of time walking through the mist or waiting out the bad weather indoors, listening to introspective, calming jams. At the top of that list is Chawla's "Carpe Diem," a smooth, intellectual piece that will whisk you away.




There's nothing more satisfying than the transitions between textures in this piece, and I can't even begin to describe how much it makes me want to lay on the floor and blast this through my headphones. I had a few questions for Chawla: 

Musically Notable: What was your inspiration for this piece - what makes it tick? 


Rahul Chawla: My inspiration for this piece came from my Music Teachers:

My A-level Music Teacher - Stuart King - Bishopshalt School
My University Lecturer Matthew Nisbet - Weston College
Some of my favourite artists:
This Town Needs guns,
Bonobo,
Plini
and the games i play:
The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of time (the composer for the music of this game; Koji Kondo inspired me a lot)
MN: Ocarina of Time has an amazing soundtrack - it's probably one of the best out there, along with Jeremy Soule's music for the Elder Scrolls games. How did you go about writing this - what is your method? 

RC: When I was commissioned to write for a string quartet, I was sat in my bedroom at university for hours in the night writing down different ideas and then deleting them and starting again. I just kept changing it until it I was happy with how it was sounding.


MN: You must be really happy with the result! And finally, do you have any upcoming record releases or gigs? 


RC: I have more upcoming recordings in the near future and there will be several live performances in the Bath/Bristol area.


Be on the lookout, Bath and Bristol!! You can catch Rahul Chawla on his Soundcloud.


If you know of any notable new music, hit me up on Twitter @AngelinaPanozzo. Stay Musical!  


No comments:

Post a Comment